Want to be part of our Athena Project Arts Festival?
We are looking to showcase work from women artists in the following areas:
We are excited to announce the call for submissions for our Plays In Progress Series (PIP Series). This Series will take place in Denver at a location to be determined over the course of approximately March-April 2019, as part of a larger arts festival celebrating the voices of women artists. Three to four new plays will be selected based on a blind submission process and given a dramaturg, director, cast and workshop level production during the Festival. A table reading and/or concert reading may also be available. All plays from the PIP Series 2019 will be considered for the mainstage production in September of 2019, decided by a combination of a panel of judges and audience vote. Scripts are being accepted from March 3-April 15, 2018.
Submission Guidelines are as follows:
- Playwright must identify as a woman and may only submit ONE full-length script.
- The play must not have ever had a fully mounted production. Prior workshop presentations are accepted, but the script must be a new version since the time of the workshop.
- Submission must include:
- a. Full copy of script (without playwright contact info*)
- b. Character breakdown (without playwright contact info*)
- c. Short synopsis of script (300 word limit, without playwright contact info*)
- d. Resume
- e. Cover letter addressing what the playwright would like to accomplish with the workshop presentation and how she heard about the call for submissions
- Plays submitted without all supporting materials included will be disqualified.
- We recommend the playwright be able to travel to the area for rehearsals as needed if selected, and for at least one workshop production performance at their own expense. We will select 3-4 playwrights to participate in the PIP Series and hope to strike a balance between local and national work. Exact rehearsal and performance schedules will be worked out with the director, dramaturg, and playwright after all plays are selected.
- Click here to complete your play submission.
Contact us via LiteraryManager@AthenaProjectArts.org if you have any questions about submitting. You will receive a confirmation upon receipt of materials.
- Click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Deadline to submit all materials is midnight, April 15, 2018**
Three or four finalists will be selected by September 2018
Directors and Dramaturgs will be selected by October 2018
Casting will be between November-December 2018/19
Rehearsals will begin in February 2019
Plays In Progress Series (part of Athena Project’s Arts Festival) opens approximately March 2019
*Contact info must be listed ONLY on resume and cover letter, not on the script or any other documents (submissions will be read blind). Documents a, b, and c should include the Title of the Play, but no playwright contact information.
**Athena Project reserves the right to close submissions before April 15, 2018.
Be a part of the first ever femme-forward retelling of an ancient folkstory….as a theatrical one act, a short film AND a podcast! Athena Project and Women in Film and Media Colorado (WIFMCO) are sponsoring the production of three versions of the same folktale, based on your version for either stage, screen, or radio. Even in tales hundreds of years old, women are strong, clever, and heroic – just like they are now. Join us as we develop, produce and celebrate your telling of the femme story.
It is free to enter! Deadline is March 31st, so submit now for the chance to have your work celebrating women, past and present, produced by fellow local artists!
DANCE SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED FOR THE 2018 FESTIVAL. PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR FUTURE SUBMISSION OPPORTUNITIES.
The Athena Project is honored to present our 6th annual Evening of World Dance on March 17, 2018 at 8pm. This concert is a beloved part of our annual Athena Project Arts Festival and supports our goal to foster community and connection among women across the Front Range making new work across all dance genres. We will be in the Eugenia Rawls Courtyard Theatre thanks to the generous sponsorship of University of Colorado – Denver, and we are very excited about the new location!
This year we are extending our call to established, emerging, and excellent student choreographers in high school or college dance programs. We will also have opportunities for our artists to potentially offer master classes and mentor younger women as a part of the Weekend of World Dance on March 18, 2018. This year we are interested in seeing trios specifically. Existing trios, new trios, or older works reimagined as trios would all be wonderful to showcase! Additionally, a treasured part of our process is our Choreographers’ Connection Day which is an informal showing and feedback session followed by snacks and continued conversation on Sunday afternoon in February, exact date and time TBD.
Past festivals have showcased the work of area luminaries such as:
Cleo Parker Robinson
Bella Diva Dance
Brooke McNamara and Lauren Beale
Spoke N Motion
…and many others too!
- Maximum running time of eight minutes.
- Special consideration will be given to trios both old and new or existing pieces that the choreographer is reworking as a trio.
- This call is open to choreographers based in or connected to the Front Range region of Colorado, any questions about regional eligibility can be directed to the curator. The Athena Project is a platform for the artistic voices of women, in all their varied backgrounds and life experiences.
- A clear video of the work being submitted, or in the case of a proposed new work a clear video that is representative of the choreographer’s style is required. The video can be of performance or rehearsal. Video can be uploaded and submitted via link or attachment. If sending video as an attachment please email the file to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and DANCE VIDEO SUBMISSION in the subject line.
- Dancers and choreographers under the age of 18 must secure parental permission and be supervised during all onsite rehearsals and performances. A separate permission form will be sent for young artists.
- Tech time will be limited, so simple and clear ideas are much appreciated. Tech times will be scheduled during the day on March 17th.
- All applications must be submitted electronically by Friday, January 5, 2018. Applications received after this date will not be reviewed.
- Choreographers selected are invited to Choreographers’ Connection an informal showing and feedback session on a Sunday afternoon in February. Location and exact time and date TBD.
- Established artists may be invited to mentor student artists on a case by case basis. This will be fully optional.
- Established and emerging artists may also be invited to present a master class to the community on Sunday, March 18, 2018, time TBD. Compensation for this class will be separate from the honorarium.
- Choreographers will be notified either way by January 12, 2018.
- Each choreographer will be awarded a $100 honorarium to use as they wish.
Please check back in the late spring for more information on submissions for our September 2018 visual arts exhibition.
Please check back in the spring for future fashion opportunities.
Please check back soon for music submission opportunities.