Want to be part of our Athena Project Arts Festival?
We are looking to showcase work from women artists in the following areas:
The Athena Project is honored to present our 6th annual Evening of World Dance on March 17, 2018 at 8pm. This concert is a beloved part of our annual Athena Project Arts Festival and supports our goal to foster community and connection among women across the Front Range making new work across all dance genres. We will be in the Eugenia Rawls Courtyard Theatre thanks to the generous sponsorship of University of Colorado – Denver, and we are very excited about the new location!
This year we are extending our call to established, emerging, and excellent student choreographers in high school or college dance programs. We will also have opportunities for our artists to potentially offer master classes and mentor younger women as a part of the Weekend of World Dance on March 18, 2018. This year we are interested in seeing trios specifically. Existing trios, new trios, or older works reimagined as trios would all be wonderful to showcase! Additionally, a treasured part of our process is our Choreographers’ Connection Day which is an informal showing and feedback session followed by snacks and continued conversation on Sunday afternoon in February, exact date and time TBD.
Past festivals have showcased the work of area luminaries such as:
Cleo Parker Robinson
Bella Diva Dance
Brooke McNamara and Lauren Beale
Spoke N Motion
…and many others too!
- Maximum running time of eight minutes.
- Special consideration will be given to trios both old and new or existing pieces that the choreographer is reworking as a trio.
- This call is open to choreographers based in or connected to the Front Range region of Colorado, any questions about regional eligibility can be directed to the curator. The Athena Project is a platform for the artistic voices of women, in all their varied backgrounds and life experiences.
- A clear video of the work being submitted, or in the case of a proposed new work a clear video that is representative of the choreographer’s style is required. The video can be of performance or rehearsal. Video can be uploaded and submitted via link or attachment. If sending video as an attachment please email the file to email@example.com with your name and DANCE VIDEO SUBMISSION in the subject line.
- Dancers and choreographers under the age of 18 must secure parental permission and be supervised during all onsite rehearsals and performances. A separate permission form will be sent for young artists.
- Tech time will be limited, so simple and clear ideas are much appreciated. Tech times will be scheduled during the day on March 17th.
- All applications must be submitted electronically by Friday, January 5, 2018. Applications received after this date will not be reviewed.
- Choreographers selected are invited to Choreographers’ Connection an informal showing and feedback session on a Sunday afternoon in February. Location and exact time and date TBD.
- Established artists may be invited to mentor student artists on a case by case basis. This will be fully optional.
- Established and emerging artists may also be invited to present a master class to the community on Sunday, March 18, 2018, time TBD. Compensation for this class will be separate from the honorarium.
- Choreographers will be notified either way by January 12, 2018.
- Each choreographer will be awarded a $100 honorarium to use as they wish.
Submissions are now closed for our 2018 Plays In Progress series. For our 2019 Festival, the deadline for submission will be during Spring 2018 – please check back for more details soon.
Please check back in the late spring for more information on submissions for our September 2018 visual arts exhibition.
Please check back in the spring for future fashion opportunities.
Please check back soon for more information on our March 2018 mini music festival.