Want to be part of our Athena Project Arts Festival?
We aren’t currently open for any submissions, but please see below for examples of past calls.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE ART SHOW ARE NOW CLOSED. PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR FUTURE SUBMISSION OPPORTUNITIES.
Inside Out: Art and Reflection, a visual arts show, will be produced by Athena Project at 40 West Arts Gallery in September 2018. Women artists 21 years and older are invited to submit contemporary, technically skilled work in any medium(s) with the exception of jewelry. The submitted works need not relate to the title of the show. Art pieces will be for sale at 40 West Arts Gallery from Sept 7 to 30, 2018
Submissions for the show are open until July 29, 2018. Notification of acceptance will be on or before August 3, 2018.
Description of Call
Inside Out: Art and Reflection, a visual arts show produced by Athena at 40 West Arts Gallery, seeks to dissolve the division between invisibility and visibility of women in the visual arts by recognizing the links between generations of women artists. Women artists are invited to submit visual art pieces for display and sale at 40 West Arts Gallery from Sept 7 to 30, 2018. The work of submitting artists may be in any visual arts medium(s) with the exception of jewelry.
Athena Project will be expanding the celebration of our exhibiting visual artists by acknowledging that behind every outstanding woman artist there are outstanding and often less recognized women who inspired us and removed many of the obstacles in our paths. These women artists took us from working in personal interior spaces for small audiences to the dynamic, evolving and more visible community we have become. Inside Out seeks to dissolve the division between invisibility and visibility of women in the visual arts by recognizing the links between generations of women artists.
Once accepted, each selected artist will be asked to submit a two part statement: the first part should speak to your process, materials and impetus. In the second part, you will be asked to name a woman artist who inspired, mentored you or in some way positively influenced your artistic trajectory. Please support that name with a brief explanation of your choice.
A select group of students will be invited to show their work in conjunction with this show.
Our juror is Michele Brower, a Denver painter and installation artist. Ms. Brower ‘s work is included in museum, private, and corporate collections. She brings substantial curatorial and teaching experience in the visual arts to this selection process. Currently, she also serves as an art leader and organizer for Athena Project.
How to Submit
Complete on the website including paying the $20 fee.
- You may submit no more than 3 pieces
- Submit application form BY JULY 29th, 2018 AT MIDNIGHT
- You must be a woman 21 years or older residing within a 100 mile radius of Denver
- All work must be for sale. Note that you will receive 70% of the funds, while Athena Project retains 30%.
- Athena Project will not accept hard copy, in person, or disk submissions.
- Submissions must fall into the following categories:
- 2D and 3D mediums accepted (but no jewelry)
- Maximum size for 2D and wall-mounted work: Width 48”, depth 10”
- Maximum size for 3D work: 40 inches in any direction and 50 pounds
- A limit of 1000 pixels on the long side, 300 dpi, sRGB color profile, and JPG (jpeg) is only file format for all submissions
- Work must be original (no reproductions or giclees) and completed within the past three years
- 2D work must have artist label on the back
- All work must be ready for installation with adequate wire on the back for hanging
- Work should weigh no more than 35lbs
Athena Project also reserves the right to refuse any work that is not true to the image submitted or if it’s too fragile to display.
Notification of acceptance will be on or before August 3, 2018.
Upon notification of acceptance, each selected artist is required to provide an executed contract, a short biographical statement, a headshot and a two-part statement as described above within ten days. Acceptance of your work by Athena Project is conditioned upon your provision of these materials. If they are not provided, the acceptance of your work will be rescinded.
- You will be asked to complete a contract, and submit your bio, headshot, and two-part statement by August 13, 2018
- Deliver your work in person to the 40 West Gallery (at 1560 Teller Street, Lakewood) on September 2, 2018 between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM
- Attend the opening night reception on September 7, between 5pm-8pm, at the 40 West Arts Gallery to celebrate your and your colleagues work
- Pick up any unsold work from the Gallery on September 30, 2018 between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM
If any work (remaining unsold) is not picked up on the date designated, there will be a charge of $1 per day for 30 days. Any work remaining after 30 days becomes the property of Athena Project.
Artist will be paid 70% of sales price if work is sold; Athena Project retains 30%. Disbursements to artists for works sold will occur within 14 days after the show closes. Artist accepts liability for any damage to the work and releases Athena Project from any liability for such damage. All reasonable precautions will be taken to safeguard all work from loss or damage, but neither Athena Project nor anyone connected with this exhibition will be responsible for loss or damage from any cause. Artist permits Athena Project to use images of accepted works and headshots of artists for any and all Athena Project promotional materials.
- Deadline for submissions: July 29, 2018 at midnight
- Notification of acceptance: on or before August 3, 2018
- Return of contract, bio, two-part statement and headshot: on or before August 13, 2018
- Work must be delivered in person to 40 West Gallery (1560 Teller Street, Lakewood) on September 2, 2018 between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM.
- Unsold work must be picked up from the Gallery on September 30, 2018 between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM.
SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED FOR THE 2019 FESTIVAL. PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR FUTURE SUBMISSION OPPORTUNITIES.
We are excited to announce the call for submissions for our Plays In Progress Series (PIP Series). This Series will take place in Denver at a location to be determined over the course of approximately March-April 2019, as part of a larger arts festival celebrating the voices of women artists. Three to four new plays will be selected based on a blind submission process and given a dramaturg, director, cast and workshop level production during the Festival. A table reading and/or concert reading may also be available. All plays from the PIP Series 2019 will be considered for the mainstage production in September of 2019, decided by a combination of a panel of judges and audience vote. Scripts are being accepted from March 3-April 15, 2018.
Submission Guidelines are as follows:
- Playwright must identify as a woman and may only submit ONE full-length script.
- The play must not have ever had a fully mounted production. Prior workshop presentations are accepted, but the script must be a new version since the time of the workshop.
- Submission must include:
- a. Full copy of script (without playwright contact info*)
- b. Character breakdown (without playwright contact info*)
- c. Short synopsis of script (300 word limit, without playwright contact info*)
- d. Resume
- e. Cover letter addressing what the playwright would like to accomplish with the workshop presentation and how she heard about the call for submissions
- Plays submitted without all supporting materials included will be disqualified.
- We recommend the playwright be able to travel to the area for rehearsals as needed if selected, and for at least one workshop production performance at their own expense. We will select 3-4 playwrights to participate in the PIP Series and hope to strike a balance between local and national work. Exact rehearsal and performance schedules will be worked out with the director, dramaturg, and playwright after all plays are selected.
- Click here to complete your play submission.
Contact us via LiteraryManager@AthenaProjectArts.org if you have any questions about submitting. You will receive a confirmation upon receipt of materials.
- Click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Deadline to submit all materials is midnight, April 15, 2018**
Three or four finalists will be selected by September 2018
Directors and Dramaturgs will be selected by October 2018
Casting will be between November-December 2018/19
Rehearsals will begin in February 2019
Plays In Progress Series (part of Athena Project’s Arts Festival) opens approximately March 2019
*Contact info must be listed ONLY on resume and cover letter, not on the script or any other documents (submissions will be read blind). Documents a, b, and c should include the Title of the Play, but no playwright contact information.
**Athena Project reserves the right to close submissions before April 15, 2018.
DANCE SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED FOR THE 2018 FESTIVAL. PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR FUTURE SUBMISSION OPPORTUNITIES.
The Athena Project is honored to present our 6th annual Evening of World Dance on March 17, 2018 at 8pm. This concert is a beloved part of our annual Athena Project Arts Festival and supports our goal to foster community and connection among women across the Front Range making new work across all dance genres. We will be in the Eugenia Rawls Courtyard Theatre thanks to the generous sponsorship of University of Colorado – Denver, and we are very excited about the new location!
This year we are extending our call to established, emerging, and excellent student choreographers in high school or college dance programs. We will also have opportunities for our artists to potentially offer master classes and mentor younger women as a part of the Weekend of World Dance on March 18, 2018. This year we are interested in seeing trios specifically. Existing trios, new trios, or older works reimagined as trios would all be wonderful to showcase! Additionally, a treasured part of our process is our Choreographers’ Connection Day which is an informal showing and feedback session followed by snacks and continued conversation on Sunday afternoon in February, exact date and time TBD.
Past festivals have showcased the work of area luminaries such as:
Cleo Parker Robinson
Bella Diva Dance
Brooke McNamara and Lauren Beale
Spoke N Motion
…and many others too!
- Maximum running time of eight minutes.
- Special consideration will be given to trios both old and new or existing pieces that the choreographer is reworking as a trio.
- This call is open to choreographers based in or connected to the Front Range region of Colorado, any questions about regional eligibility can be directed to the curator. The Athena Project is a platform for the artistic voices of women, in all their varied backgrounds and life experiences.
- A clear video of the work being submitted, or in the case of a proposed new work a clear video that is representative of the choreographer’s style is required. The video can be of performance or rehearsal. Video can be uploaded and submitted via link or attachment. If sending video as an attachment please email the file to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and DANCE VIDEO SUBMISSION in the subject line.
- Dancers and choreographers under the age of 18 must secure parental permission and be supervised during all onsite rehearsals and performances. A separate permission form will be sent for young artists.
- Tech time will be limited, so simple and clear ideas are much appreciated. Tech times will be scheduled during the day on March 17th.
- All applications must be submitted electronically by Friday, January 5, 2018. Applications received after this date will not be reviewed.
- Choreographers selected are invited to Choreographers’ Connection an informal showing and feedback session on a Sunday afternoon in February. Location and exact time and date TBD.
- Established artists may be invited to mentor student artists on a case by case basis. This will be fully optional.
- Established and emerging artists may also be invited to present a master class to the community on Sunday, March 18, 2018, time TBD. Compensation for this class will be separate from the honorarium.
- Choreographers will be notified either way by January 12, 2018.
- Each choreographer will be awarded a $100 honorarium to use as they wish.
Please check back in the spring for future fashion opportunities.
Please check back soon for music submission opportunities.