Athena Project Arts Festival 2018
The Athena Project Arts Festival blasts the voices of female artists across the Denver metro area – it gives women the stage, hands them the mic, and lets them riff like rebels. This dynamic festival fills the month of March with the theatre, music and dance of talented female creators who make up Denver’s artistic community, and is a huge part of our program powering women and girls toward artistic leadership.
- In the innovative Plays In Progress series, women playwrights collaborate with directors, dramaturgs and actors, to bring brand new work to the public as workshop performances – and then the audience talks back! (One of these new plays then goes on to be fully staged as our spectacular Premiere Production.)
- Brand new scripts by female writers are given a first outing as table readings – audience and actors’ reactions are so vital to help develop stories further.
- Songwriters and musicians jam brand new tunes, and shine bright slants on classics, over a three-day mini music festival. This year, for the first time, we’re planning a project called Cross Pollination, in which musicians pair with a playwright, a poet, a dancer or a visual artist over just 24 hours, to collaborate on creations so mind-tinglingly fresh they don’t even have a name!
- A kaleidoscope of performers together explore the excitement and grace of movement in an Evening of World Dance.
- During the Festival we also celebrate the incredible work of the middle and high school girls at the Girls Create Summer Camps, with a weekend of performances.
Check back here for updates as the Festival approaches!